Since I am new to blogging, I’ve been looking for ways to get my name out there. So when I found this great baking challenge on The more than occasional baker’s site, I knew I had to do it. This month’s host is The More Than Occasional Baker Go to the site for more details, but bascially every month there is a different different letter that the dessert has to start with. This month the letter is L. Right when I saw this I remembered that I had been wanting to make these lemon poppyseed cupcakes that I had seen in a Better Homes and Garden magazine.
Lemon poppyseed always reminds me of when I was little. Every year my family and I would go to Florida to visit my grandpartents. And every year we would go to the same bakery that would have the BEST lemon poppyseed muffins.
Not only that but I hoped that the lemon flavor would help me out of this winter funk. And what do you know, right after I made them, we had a few warm days. It was like 55 degrees in February. Maybe I have special powers, and my baking brought summer for a few days.
Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3cup milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- For Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line eighteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups
- In a medium bowl combine flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, lemon extract, and vanilla. Beat about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to reach a spreading consistency.
- Spread Lemon Glaze on cupcakes